Monday 31 August 2015

The statue of Brighton's second greatest sportsman


Rather to my surprise I found myself enjoying the World Athletics Championships from China. Track and field used to be one of my favourite sports. 
Along with most of country I was gripped by the rivalry between Coe and Ovett, and TV coverage of the Dream Mile from Bislett, the Ivo Van Damme meeting and the Emsley Carr Mile achieving massive viewing figures.
From the late 80's onwards though a sport so old and simple as running lost much of its lustre, tainted by doping and corruption.
The Olympics excepted, TV coverage diminished, and every great performance after Ben Johnson's exposure always left me wondering.
I admit I only tuned into the final day of the World Championships by accident. I should have realised there is no Sunday Politics in August!
This was high class sport and - judging by the characters in the high jump and the darts style 'walk-ons' for the relay runners - the sportsmen and woman were having fun.
And there was even for me some nostalgia, seeing Britain take a bronze medal in the men's 400 metre relay by a beard. Frank Clement all over again (although I think he was 4th).
Anyway it all prompted me to go and have a proper look at the newish statue of Brighton's greatest athlete (and second greatest sportsman). The original statue honouring Steve Ovett was in Preston Park but was stolen by scrap metal thieves. Its replacement is on the seafront, between the Volks railway and the recently closed Madeira Drive arches.
Yes it is wonderful that Steve has been honoured in this way by his home town and may be this is just me, but I do think it's a shame that the sculpture does not look like him.


No comments:

Post a Comment