Tuesday 20 October 2015

Taking up the challenge

The reader of this blog has challenged me to do a Maurice, and visit every UK racecourse in a year.
I started at Fakenham on 16 October and have agreed, obviously reluctantly, to rise to the task.
To make it more fun I intend to grade each racecourse according to things which matter to me when I go racing-

Welcome/friendliness (things have got better in recent years but it still amazes me that some racecourse seem to regard racing fans - as opposed to stag do's, bouncy castle/face painting enthusiasts, pop concert goers etc - as a bit of a nuisance)
Atmosphere (totally subjective of course but it's my blog)
Betting ring (size, competitiveness) - robustness of ring, layers willing to take a bet, bookies that don't just trade on Betfair but give the punter chance ti take on their opinion
Racecard (cost, quality) 
Queues for bar  (I like a beer at the races but do not like queuing for 20 minutes to get one)
Viewing (it's important to be able to see the action - although the stag do's seem to not bother!)
Standard of racing (quality, competitiveness, number of runners)

Each category can be awarded up to 10 marks, giving an overall score out of 70.

I also intend to report on the extent to which I lost won money, but cannot promise to keep this up if it becomes too depressing.

This all may mean I have less time for penetrating political analysis but needs must.

No comments:

Post a Comment