Monday 30 November 2015

Carry on Jacki. You were 'wonderful' as well

So what do you think of the Carry On Films? Obviously for someone as current as me it should be really easy. I'm (by and large) from Brighton, I'm (sort of) modern, I'm (for a bloke in his 50's with a rather effective combover) rather down with the kids, and therefore I should obviously think Carry On was an awful sexist business which deserves no place in modern popular entertainment.
But I have to confess for a long-term sneaking admiration. Maybe I am alone here in the capital of right-on 'ness on the south coast but for me Sid and Bernard chatting up their 'birds' is still quite funny.
"Infamy, infamy they have all got it in for me", remains one of the best lines ever in British comedy, and I can laugh even today at Sid James in Bless this House, Terry Scott in Terry and June, Charles Hawtree in Carry on Sergeant and Bernard Bresslaw (my combover is better) in Carry on Camping. And, this confession will probably confirm once and for all that my political career is over, for men of my age (your guess will obviously be much younger than the reality) Barbara Windsor's 'assets' were the first bosoms we ever ever saw (for me the location ever seared in my memory was the Dome Cinema in Worthing).
Having got these excuses out of the way that was why I snapped up early tickets to 'Jacki Piper - A Right Carry On' on Saturday 28 November in the Vestry at the Museum of Comedy, Bloomsbury Way, London.
Admittedly I initially got Jacki confused with Angela Douglas . The latter had been in some earlier Carry On films but her new husband 'Kenny' More had banned her not been keen on her appearing in them again.  Some searches on google confirmed it was the Girl June from Carry on up the Jungle that I was off to see reminisce about her experiences working with legends of British comedy (and also Frankie Howerd*).
My guest at this event (who insists on remaining anonymous for fear of never being welcome in polite Brighton circles again) and I, settled into our seats early for the show. It was indeed a rather small crypt, rammed full of tiny chairs, and by 7pm swamped with enthusiastic Carry on Fans of - admittedly - a certain age broadly equivalent to my own.
In the dark it was difficult to keep notes, and I did not want to appear like a sneak in any case so the evening started on a great note with an admission that the Carry on Films were also 'low budget affairs.'
It was still - even in the midst of a 1970's era nostalgia-  something of a 'luvvie' fest. 
Jacki opened by admitting that 'I know most of you' (which made some of us feel out of it) but she went on to give some fascinating insights into the actors she had worked with:
"Terry Scott was a perfectionist".
"Charles Hawtree always came to the set with his mum. She was a chain smoker who dropped the ash into her handbag. Which was fine until her handbag caught light and the fire brigade put both her and her handbag out."
"Frankie Howerd had a 'terrible wig' (should have tried a combover) but was 'lovely' despite suffering from depression caused by trying so hard to be funny".
We also learnt Jim Dale refused the part of 'Ugh' in Carry On Up The Jungle because it involved "speaking like a gorilla" (as Jacki put put it "Health 'n' safety and political correctness never featured" in those days"). 
Terry Scott was also "lovely" (despite the loin cloth incident) and continued to be so till the end of his his life. Terry managed to star in 'A Bed Full of Foreigners' in a wheel chair on a tour of China, thereby denying the also "lovely" Jack Smethurst a part for which he had rehearsed on the flight from Heathrow.
Joan Sims was "so talented", Sid James was "wonderful and he played cards". He let Jacki pick "his horses" (maybe I should let her pick mine!).
Roger Moore was also "charming and lovely". Admittedly Roger was normally otherwise engaged (playing a certain spy) but he had tea with the 'Carry on' lot when filming James Bond.
Kenneth Williams was "an absolute hoot" and 'Bernie' (Bernard to you and me obviously) Bresslaw was  "an academic really, learned, quiet and gentle".
Jacki also confessed to starring in Dr in Trouble where she met Leslie 'Ding-Dong Nurse Bell' Phillips, before going to (admittedly 1970's) Brighton for Carry On At Your Convenience. It was filmed at a hotel/pub near the County Hospital, and the desperate industrial relations of their 1970's day were sorted out when Bernard, Sid et al went for a ride on the ghost train on the Palace Pier with the workers at the toilet factory (was Jeremy Corbyn an extra?).
Hattie Jacques was also "gentle, talented and wonderful" and had decided to give up dieting.
Leonard Rossiter was "a total perfectionist and workaholic".
The best of the lot was Ronnie Barker (agree there) and if there is to be a new Carry On it should star Frank Skinner (and I agree there as well).
On re-reading my notes I feel I may seem a tad critical (sorry Sam). Actually it was a wonderful 80 minutes. Jacki (rightfully in my opinion) refuses to dish the dirt. She simply exudes happiness for being involved in a golden age of British comedy. 
If she does one of these nights again then get along - you will not be disappointed.
And maybe Sam take the show to Brighton for next year's festival?

*Thank you the also wonderful (obviously)  Ms Potting Shed for correcting my terrible spelling of Howard


No comments:

Post a Comment