Thursday 3 December 2015

A non-review of Carol

Me, "I'm thinking of going to see Carol. It's got Cate Blanchett in it."
Wise one, "She plays the same character in every film. She was in Blue Jasmine which I didn't really get and she spoilt Charlotte Gray. Great book but the film didn't do it any favours because of her"
Me, "Oh right. You don't like her acting then?"
Wise one, "Not really. She doesn't enhance the characters she plays. It's just this funny stare all the time. It's supposed to infer things but it never infers anything other than there's that Cate staring again".
Me, desperately struggling for a coherent response being an admirer of said Cate, "But in Carol she plays a lesbian in the 1950's." (I know I'm sorry feeble beyond belief).
Wise one, "Oh, right, mhmm. Presumably a lesbian in the 1950's who stares a lot."

Sadly I never got to find out the merits of Carol starring the lovely/staring (take your pick) Cate Blanchett as I was diverted by LatestTV in order to talk about bombing ISAL/IS/ IZAL/Daesh (again take your pick).

No comments:

Post a Comment