Friday 18 December 2015

Kylie (and Kojak?) on DID

Of course I love the national (albeit Australian) treasure, Kylie Minogue. Not only has she has passed into modern folklore as slang for the smartest type of shoe, she's replaced Judy (Garland) as the ultimate gay icon, dear old cricket commentator supreme Brian Johnston loved her on Neighbours, and she made my type of music (naff stuff by Scott, Aitken and Waterman) almost acceptable in polite circles. Kylie is just also so obviously a lovely all-round good egg who makes us all happier, and she apparently (so I'm told) has a nice bum (for the record just in case I ever stand for election again- obviously I never have, and never would, look).
It was therefore with a great sense of anticipation that I settled down to listen to Kylie on my second favourite (after Matthew Parris' Great Lives) Radio 4 programme, Desert Island Discs (DID).
To start with Kylie did not disappoint. The early chat with Kirsty (Young) was entertaining and most of Kylie's choices were pretty good. She even thankfully chose an Abba song (albeit one she had sung herself at the Olympics).
Getting near the end though Kylie did something unique, which had never happened before in 50 years of DID. Her 7th choice (and indeed her premier disc, the one she would rescue if   all 8 choices were being washed away in a tidal wave) was chosen secretly by her 'beau', Joshua Sasse. The idea was that he would select his favourite disc and it would be a great loving, romantic surprise for her to listen to once she had got organised after having been washed ashore after the shipwreck.
What song had Joshua chosen? Something by the Stones, Frank Sinatra, maybe even a classic romantic ballad, even Chris de Burgh would have been great? (ok maybe not). No, the trouble was that rather than being a classic composition by an all time great musician, it was a poem 'spoken' to music by Josh himself. 
Obvioulsy we were all expected to be bowled over by this marvellous romantic gesture. Kylie clearly thought it was great so I accept it is probably churlish of me to remain unmoved.  Sadly all I could think of when hearing it (and I listened again to Friday's repeat just in case I got it wrong) was Kojak (Telly Savalas) and his 'classic' number  1 hit 'If'


No comments:

Post a Comment