Tuesday 29 December 2015

Don't drink whisky it's bad for you

I would not normally write a post on a family matter. It's just not my thing. But...... I just have to share this.
At 10.30 this morning I popped over to Worthing to wish my (step) dad a 'happy birthday.'
I rung the door bell and heard some words along the lines of 'I'm here'. 2 minutes later it was answered.
Bert, sheepishly, "Hello. Your mum's popped out."
Me - loudly - , "No problem. I've just popped over myself to wish you happy birthday."
Bert, "That's good. Thanks for coming over. Sorry about the smell on my breath. I just fancied a quick whisky. "
Me, "Happy birthday."
Bert "Thanks."
I obviously then handed him a NHS England Public Health leaflet highlighting the dangers of alcohol, and warned him sternly that if he did not cut it out there was a risk he could endanger his long-term health. 
He smiled and in that trait common only to the very young and the very old, yet again told me his age,
Bert, "I'm 96 today, you know."
Me, "Yes. Happy birthday, dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment