Saturday 5 December 2015

Down memory lane for this one on Catch Up

It's fair to say that the sit-com (Whatever Happened to) The Likely Lads is not considered by the ever so knowing critics as exactly legendary.
Fair enough, but it will always have a special place in my heart. I loved Terry's down troddeness and (as a Conservative obviously) I admired Bob's aspiration. I confess I can even think of someone who reminds me very much of Thelma!
And there is one episode which in my memory still amuses me to this day. I have never watched it again so it may be - how can I politely put this - crap. But I was reminded today by the one where Terry and Bob were desperate to avoid the result of 'the match'. The whole premise of the plot would be impossible today with social media, Vplus, Skyplus, the pause button and so on but back in the day (please bear with me here you young people) none of that existed and even England football matches really mattered!
International games were of course not covered live in those days, but in midweek they were shown late at night on Sportsnight, presented by David Coleman or - even better - David Vine.
In the episode I have in mind Terry and Bob were determined to ensure that their enjoyment of 'the match' was not spoilt by knowing the result. They spent the whole day dodging various scenarios where they might find out who had won.
This bit may have my memory failing me but I have in my head that the ex-wrestler Brian Glover played some character who was determined to spoil it for them. He popped up everywhere trying to tell them them what happened.
Somehow Terry and Bob avoided him and eventually Bob invited Terry round to his new Wimpy home on the outskirts of Newcastle to watch the match. They opened a couple of tins and settled down.... only to find that the match had been called off. Instead Sportsnight was putting on ice skating. Of course today all us modern-men Terry and Bobs would be very happy with an hour's ice skating instead of the football but in those days we were allowed to suggest it was perhaps not exactly our cup of tea (so to speak).
With that in mind I was so relieved that I was able today to do a Terry and Bob in reverse. Not only did I watch Brighton beat Charlton 3-2 today but I was able to walk home (humming all the way just in case someone told me what had happened) and then watch my favourite current horse in training, Sire de Grugy, win the Tingle Creek at Sandown on catch up.
Take that Leon Arras, the Man from Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment