Thursday 18 February 2016

Baxter Basics brings success at Lingfield, but watch out Rob Wright's cat

When going through a lean time punting-wise, it sometimes helps to return to a method which has proved successful in the past. I would call it 'back to basics', but we all know where that ended up.
My biggest ever win came when I backed Spanish Don to win the Cambridgeshire in 2004. I can hardly believe it was 11 years ago, but I can still clearly recall the odds - 100/1. The reason I had backed this outsider of the large field was that he had been tipped by Tom Segal in the Racing Post on his previous run. When highlighted by Mr Segal, Spanish Don had flopped. My logic though was that if someone as shrewd as the Pricewise tipster had put him up, then there must be something about him. 
Lingfield on Wednesday gave me an opportunity to return to the 'tipped up but lost last time' theory. On Monday Rob Wright of The Times had napped Elysian Prince in a handicap at Wolverhampton. I watched the race and thought Elysian Prince run alright, but sadly for Rob only came 4th. I still think Rob Wright is a good judge but he is going through a terrible time with his naps at the moment. He remains rooted to the bottom of the Racing Post naps table, something I did point out to the Editor of The Times in a letter he inexplicably failed to publish.
Neil King, trainer of Elysian Prince, decided to run his horse again within 2 days, hence my visit to Lingfield. I checked the morning tips again, and noticed that Rob Wright had napped another horse in the same race, the 'lucky last' on the card. Interestingly the current leader of the naps table, Robin Goodfellow of the Daily Mail, had napped Elysian Prince this time.
On course the money was for Brasted, Rob Wright's nap. I backed Elysian Price using the Spanish Don strategy, but thought it wise to have a mini-saver by putting both tipsters' naps in the forecast.
From my punting point of view the race represented a real change of luck, and could not have gone better. Elysian Prince was put into an early lead by Liam Jones and stayed there, winning by a comfortable 2plus lengths from (you've guessed it) Rob Wright's nap, Brasted. His cat will be well-advised to stay with that friendly couple down the road for the next few days.

16:55 1st2 Elysian Prince(Liam Jones, 7/2 2nd-fav)
2nd4 Brasted(Luke Morris, 3/1 fav)
3rd7 Shimba Hills(Mr W Twiston-Davies, 16/1)
10 ran
Non-runners: Barren Brook
Distances: 2½ lengths, ¾ length, ½ length
Winning trainer: N B King.

No comments:

Post a Comment