Wednesday 24 February 2016

Triple 9 - Loud but may need subtitles

Going to the cinema in the afternoon is a - slightly guilty - pleasure.  There's always that feeling that you should be spending your time more productively, but being able to stretch out, put your coat on one side, your bag on the other and relax is far preferable to taking in the 'flicks' (as my mum used to call it) when they are busy.
It is something which it is possible to do on a regular basis as you get older - and that really is the only downside, illustrated by my problems this week with the well-reviewed gangster film, sorry, heist thriller Triple 9.
I do not mind a bit of violence in films (Pulp Fiction is after all one of my favourites), and bad language in this context is simply realistic, but there needs to be a good plot. The problem with Triple 9 for me, and this is why I have confess there may be an age issue, is that I found it very difficult to hear what the actors were saying. It was certainly loud enough but not clear enough. The story may have been excellent but I found it virtually impossible to follow it.
The Jewish Russian mafia were involved, a cop was being blackmailed, other cops were carrying out crimes, and there may have been one 'goodie' cop whose police chief uncle was a sort of goodie with problems (he certainly took drugs).
Spoiler alert - I think the goodie chap triumphed in the end, most of the the baddies (dirty cops and gangsters) got shot or blown up but it was not entirely a happy ending.
I did though learn that 999 in the USA is code for a police officer being shot, hence the film's title.
2/10 but that could increase if I watch it again with subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment