Thursday 18 February 2016

Fair play to the Romford Foghorn

As an aside on the racing front, I must confess that Lingfield surprises me. I expected to hate it, but the opportunity to attend for free (because of my new Fontwell membership) has got me to go there more often and I am beginning to actually like the place.
The home made 6 inch sausage roll tastes ok, the woman in the bar who serves the Guiness is lovely and the racing can be quite interesting.
That though is not why I am writing this shortish (please note KT) piece. No the reason is that I feel duty bound to record something positive about Barry Dennis. My regular reader knows that I have in the past expressed my reservations about the Romford Foghorn - a self-publicist who seems to take delight in abusing his customers. 
Dennis has two pitches at Lingfield, the second one operated on his behalf by former Hove Dogs bookie, Mark Green. They signal to each other all the time and their prices do not differ; I am sure there is some logic to it all. It's not that though which impressed me. 
Rather it's the fact that old and brash Barry Dennis is the only bookie I have seen who goes to the pre-parade ring before each race, taking notes on the fitness of each horse. Nearly all on course bookies now simply follow the exchanges. 
Fair play therefore to Barry, if I am interpreting his paddock observations correctly, for exercising his judgement, and giving us his opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment