Tuesday 22 March 2016

Before the National I will watch Trumbo to even things up

There is a racing hiatus between Cheltenham and Aintree. The Lincoln excepted, nothing else appeals. The Dubai World Cup at Meydan is not really my thing. With Easter early this year there is the chance to take in the well-endowed (oh please - I'm talking prize money wise) all-weather finals at Lingfield. But the old Calvinist in me is still not entirely comfortable with racing and betting on Good Friday.
This pause does though offer the opportunity to catch up on some films. The choice this week though is not that great. High Rise does not appeal as, even though the original was composed by JG Ballard, it appears to have been hijacked into another lesson from highly paid luvvies to us plebs on the evils of capitalism, and besides I do not think I could cope with another viewing of Tom Hiddleston without his shirt on.
Being a coward, horror (or even remotely creepy) has no appeal, so that was The Witch, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Boy all out (thank goodness). The Revenant is obviously worthy but just seemed too much like hard work. For Brexit reasons I could not watch the French movie about a middle aged woman who cannot sing (even if in that French way we all know is acceptable it might have included gratuitous female nudity) at the local Art House. I was tempted by London is Fallen but going to see a film just because it has annoyed Guardian readers is not enough.

In the end I settled on Hail Caesar, something that I had avoided up till now because I thought I probably would not get it.
Resisting the pop corn in the foyer (see the surreptitious fuzzy pic above) was not difficult, but despite my reservations, I found my resistance to Hail Caesar was overcome. I concede that as predicted I did not entirely get it. To me it was a series of sketches paying homage to the golden days of Hollywood, but no less enjoyable for all that.
I probably should have gone to see it with a film buff who could have explained all the in jokes. For once the commies, rather than the McCarthyites, seemed to be the baddies (although perhaps the Coen brothers were having a joke there as well - ok I'm confused).
To me Hail Caeser was fun. It was more affectionate than a send-up, in places it made me chuckle and in the end what is wrong with that?  I do though accept that I probably need to watch Trumbo, between today and the Grand National, just in case I have completely missed the point.

2 comments:

  1. Trumbo, he wasn't a partial musical instrument!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I need a good sub-editor (and to turn off autocorrect)

    ReplyDelete