Friday 4 March 2016

Grassroots reality check at end of great week for racing

There has been good news for racing this week. The Government has listened and it looks like the new levy will include the money bookmakers make from British racing in their off-shore operations. That is a bit nerdy obviously and largely for turf insiders but in a more 'man/woman in the street' context we also saw the most successful British female Olympian, Victoria Pendleton (VP), win her first race as a jockey under 'rules' as part of her 'switching saddles' stunt initiative at Wincanton.
I am slightly embarrassed to admit this, having been rather curmudgeonly about the whole thing, but I actually backed her (well Pacha du Polder) on Wednesday. This was not a sentimental punt. It was simply that she was clearly on the best horse, and any price above evens represented value.
Cynical misery perspectives aside, it was heartening to see the enthusiasm with which VP's triumph was met - front and back page coverage in most major newspapers, and lead sport item on the BBC News.
I do though have to prick the hype balloon a tad. No doubt the great and the good (and Luke Harvey) of the racing world will announce on Monday that VP is ready to ride at Cheltenham. The wider non-racing world world are interested but I will just - by way of caution - repeat the conversation I overheard amongst 3 dedicated racegoers, from South London and of a certain age, on the way to Lingfield today-
"She's (VP) on £1/2 million for it you know",
"How do you think the other jockeys feel? Riding round here when she's on that?"
"I can't back her at Cheltenham."
" Yeh right. I'm leaving the race alone completely. She'll bring down the one I intended to back"
"What's she gonna do next? Boxing I heard. Still I'd probably watch it"
You can please some of the people .... etc

1 comment: