Friday 18 March 2016

Placepot landed but it's not Barbados

Me smirking, "That was a good day. I even backed the winner of the Gold Cup."
Reply, in that disinterested going though the motions voice, "Oh well done. Who was it?"
Me, proud voice, "Don Cossack. I even gave him as my nap earlier in the week."
"Oh right. Is he a Russian jockey?"




It probably is a good thing to be reminded every now and again that horse racing is a minority sport, and not everyone is transfixed by the drama played out at Cheltenham this week.
Sadly I could not get to Prestbury Park to watch the Festival in person. I prefer viewing with a crowd. One option is to go to a pub which puts the racing on, but from experience I have learnt that betting and beer is not the wisest mix.
Instead I took the opportunity to watch Cheltenham from other racecourses hosting the lessor meetings, wonderfully charming Towcester on Thursday and the 'home of Asian weddings' (as their advertising banner proudly announces), Lingfield, today. Both tracks made the effort to show Cheltenham on their big screens, and the bookies sensibly priced up each of the 'away' races. Not the same as being there, but the next best thing.
Knowing that the placepot* has a history of paying big dividends at this time of year, I duly made my selections for both Lingfield and Cheltenham. I was even praised by the Tote lady for writing 'Chelt' and 'Ling' on my tickets - the little things help!
My Cheltenham placepot crashed at the first hurdle, literally, but as the day wore on the Lingfield punt looked increasingly promising - for more of which read on.
The only other problem was the big clash - Victoria Pendleton v Hattie (aka Expect Nothing).

Our dog was due to run her second race in exalted A3 grade just as VP tackled the Cheltenham fences. I had not heard from Claude, Hattie's trainer, in the morning, which could mean she's got no chance, or (cynical hat on) she's a good chance and no mug is going to lump on and affect the price. The third, and ultimately, accurate explanation, that a message had been left on my home phone which I had not been able to pick up, was far less glamorous.
I will not bore the readers with all the details as the VP effect means that the national media are putting racing on the front pages and you can read all the copy from observers far more skilled than me. Suffice to report my nap of the week, Don Cossack (yes the horse), won the Gold Cup with some ease. 
Victoria Pendleton went round the back during the 'Amateurs' Gold Cup' and finished a fast finishing 5th on Pacha Du Polder. She will receive much, to some extent, deserved praise for this. But I cannot help but be reminded of another lady jockey, one Rosemary Henderson, who rode her horse, Fiddlers Pike, also into 5th place in the 1994 Grand National. In both cases a top jockey on board would certainly have got the horse placed.
After that my day headed towards maximum excitement. My two favourite tipsters, Rob Wright and Paul Kealy, had both put up Ibis Du Rheu, in the 6th race at Cheltenham. This 14/1 shot, under an inspired ride from conditional jockey Jack Sherwood, duly obliged from an unpromising position. 
An already profitable day could only get better if I landed the placepot at Lingfield. Somehow my choice in the final leg, World's Greatest, did not exactly live up to his name in but remarkably he sneaked into third place. Yes...... all that was needed was for me to collect and then it's down the travel agents to join JP in Barbados.
I handed in my winning ticket. 
"Oh dear love only £9.50 I'm afraid." 
Still Bexhill can be nice this time of year.

NB - As for Hattie (Expect Nothing) she got mullered at the first bend and finished last. Expect a good price next time though.

*A bet on the nanny where you have to select a horse to get placed in the first 6 races



No comments:

Post a Comment